Dark, heavy smoke rose above Glassell Park Monday evening as flames engulfed a commercial building.
Some 150 firefighters responded to the two-story, L-shaped structure on 3501 N. San Fernando Road, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department. Plumes of smoke were visible for miles as crews hosed down the blaze using ladder pipes.
Shortly after it broke out at around 5:20 p.m., crews managed to surround the fire on all sides, Fire Capt. Erik Scott tweeted.
The quick spread of the flames caused heavy smoke to envelop the structure, with downed electrical wires posing danger to the firefighters, the Fire Department said.
With walls potentially caving in, the crews had to designate a 20-foot collapse zone.
The Glendale Fire Department assisted during the incident.
By around 6:15 p.m., firefighters appeared to have mostly contained the flames.
A rental supply company called Palace Party Rental is listed under the address where the fire happened. The company's website says its business hours are from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday to Friday.
The Fire Department has not released any details about possible injuries.
Firefighters battle large fire in commercial building in Glassell Park